I got a Blackberry Playbook recently, and on booting it I kept getting the “Could not activate this tablet. (3001)” error. Through guides from various sources, I managed to find the following steps worked for me. Hopefully this guide will be helpful for someone else.
- Download and Install the Blackberry Desktop Software.
- Turn off your Playbook.
- Open the BDS, and connect the Playbook to the USB. (Note: the Playbook must be OFF, or it won’t detect it)
- A pop-up (with 3 options) will show up indicating that it can’t connect to the Playbook. Leave it as it is for now.
- Hard reset the Playbook. (Press volume up, volume down, and the power button simultaneously and hold for around 15 seconds.)
- After it resets, click “Repair” from the previous pop-up. (I’m using OSX, from the places I read, this option could be “Update” for Windows)
- It should scan the Playbook and asks if you want to update it. Select YES.
- If everything is done right so far, it should be downloading and updating something. It took me around 30 minutes or so until it finished.
- Disconnect the Playbook and turn it ON.
- You will have to go through the steps of setting the time, Blackberry ID, etc.
- After entering the WiFi settings, previously it will give the 3001 error. Now it’ll update (yet again) for a file around 30mb.
- Voila! It works.
- (Optional) Update Tetris and Need For Speed Underground (this game is still around??).
See? It just works!